View Single Post
Old 02-25-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecknik1 View Post
I was into long range varmint hunting back in the 80,s & early nineties with my father in FT. Hunter Ligget where you could easily have a 1500 yard shot if you and your weapon was capable of it which mine where. The weapons of choice were a switch 25-06 Ackley Improved & 30-06 Ackley Improved built on Old Winchester action with Shilen Heavy barrels, unscrew one barrel and screw in the other depending upon what your target and distances where with all handholds of course with 90 gr ballistic tip for the 25 and 165 gr Barnes for the 30 man was that riffle accurate. The other everyday rifle was a custom 220 swift Hart heavy barrel on a Remington action using 52 grain Ballistic tips both were fiberglass stocks.

Ft Hunter Liggett at that time anyways was open to hunters on the sections that were open I believe their was 15 sections open with all kinds of squirrels, Bobcats, Lynx, Coyotes, Pigs a varmint hunters paradise which varmint hunting was illegal at the time. Not even sure Hunter Liggett is still open for hunting.

We would camp out on the coast at Naciemento camp grounds then get up early and drive over the hill onto Liggett and let the fun begin.

Miss those times long ago.Thanks for the memories.
Those 25-06 AI and 30-06 AI must have had some kick. What round counts would you shoot in an afternoon with those?

I had a Weatherby 25-06 and still own a Weatherby 30-06 from the mid 1980's. I still remember the day I sighted the 30-06. I was done after 10 rounds due to flinching, although I shot it recently and it didn't seem as bad as I remembered.

I have two 6.5 Creedmoors. One weighs in at 17lbs and the other is around 15 lbs so I really don't experience much recoil at all.

Terry