View Single Post
Old 05-19-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
Ken...you have a killer system. The JL-1s are killer amps. I have never heard them but would love to. Do they put off a lot of heat? Have you driven tougher loads than your Amatis with them? If you are familiar with other tube amps, is the CAT house sounds similar to any of the other major tube brands? I am just trying to get a better handle on them.

Thanks! Well the JL-1's are a love hate relationship with me. Love the sound. Love the power. Hate the heat. Hate the trouble to move one to replace a resistor when a tube shorts. Hate shipping to New York for repairs if necessary. Hate long repair times.

But I have never had a speaker they could not drive the crap out of. Including the big Sound Labs. The Extremas are a difficult load, but no trouble for the JL-1's. These amps replaced a pair of Classe Ca300's that were running in monoblock. The JL-1's have better control of the bass, sweeter midrange, more air on top, and way better dynamics. And they sound more powerful. I truly have never heard better amps. I am sure the JL-3's are better, but I am not going to 32 tubes. Hell 16 is too many already! But the magic of the Jl-1's is the 50 plus pound output transformers and the huge power supply. Each amp weighs about 185 pounds or so. So that makes them a real pain in the ass to move around. I have had them for 11 years and have never wanted anything else. I guess that speaks volumes about them. I am about to add a MC402 for hot summer duties and more casual listening sessions. I run those amps too much!

Ken
Sonus Faber Amati,Sonus Faber Extremas, Sonus Faber Electa Amator MkI, Sonus Faber Concertos, Convergent Audio JL-1 amps, Cat Ultimate Preamp, Dynaco SCA 35 restored with EFB mod, , Basis Debut Vacum table, Vector Arm, Koetsu Urishi, Walker Motor Drive, REL Stentor II X2, Cardas Golden Cross wire, Resolution Audio Cantata music center, Nak Dragon, Nak 505, Teac X2000R, Otari MX5050BIII, Yamaha CT7000,Mac 4300,