View Single Post
Old 01-07-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayvis View Post
You probably remember most of my posts on this subject but I'll add another couple of cents. Streaming is becoming an ever deeper rabbit hole and it can really get to all who are striving for the best fit within our systems. I've tried the Node 2, 851N, CXN, and MB50 in my McIntosh system and ended up keeping the MB50. All had similar sound quality results when run through my preamp's DAC, but for whatever the reason, I gave a slight edge to the MB50. When comparing sound quality using the streamer's internal DAC, I picked the MB50 with the 851N coming in a surprisingly close 2nd. The other two weren't close. When comparing strength of wireless connection and processing speed, the MB50 was the clear winner. All are very capable streamers and depending on budget and needs, they'd all be on my recommended list. I've spent quite a bit of money on my system and there are many out there who've spent much more on theirs. You can spend much more than $2000 on a streaming device. I now feel comfortable with my purchase knowing that I have a product designed and made by hand in America. That's worth the extra dollars to me and I'm now just enjoying the music and not second guessing my decision. It just comes down to how much time you plan on using it and how you'll use it. You have put together a very expensive killer system. Only you can decide if a $500 streamer will do justice within the rest of your system and how much more you're willing to spend for small incremental gains in performance.

Hey Jayvis, this is super valuable to me, thank you for sharing, especially since you have tried the Cambridge devices and could compare to the MB50.

It is encouraging to hear that you found the MB50's sound superior to the rest of the bunch. The only device that I will still be considering is the Aries (not the mini). I wish there was a way to demo it at home.