View Single Post
Old 01-07-2018, 03:52 PM

I have an Aries Mini and it’s an excellent streamer with an OK DAC (I don’t use the DAC). Since you’ll be using your own DAC, it should work well for you. It’s very versatile, handling pretty much all file formats, Tidal, Qobuz, and Apple Airplay. The sound is quite good but it could benefit from a better power supply. If you go this route you can always upgrade with Auralic’s external power supply later.

The Auralic Aries is a big step up, with a better power supply and no DAC, so all the investment is in the streaming functions. Check audiostream.com for reviews. It also handles all file formats, is RoonReady, and handles MQA.

I’ve had several Cambridge Audio products (although not this one), and their quality is excellent and sound very good for the money. However the streamer only handles 24/192 - not a drawback if you don’t expect to play DSD. Also it has digital inputs and can be used as a preamp for digital sources. If you have need for this capability, then it’s a great option. If you don’t, then it’s money wasted on capabilities you don’t need. In that case for the same price the Aries is a better option.

I can’t comment on the Mac, having no direct experience with the brand.

Of the choices listed, I’d go for the Aries, although I’d also look at the Bryston BDP Pi. It handles most everything including being RoonReady, although I don’t think MQA. It’s in the same price range, should have excellent sound, and Ivan is a Bryston dealer so I’m guessing you’d get a great deal from him.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2