View Single Post
Old 04-06-2020, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldominion View Post
So funny, in my Inspire Firebottle Universal SET I just swapped out my KT150's and Sophia 274B for Haltron 6V6 and a Sylvania VT244 (5u4G) and it sounds absolutely wonderful!
Does that Inspire run in triode mode? Mine runs in ultralinear. The label says "SET Fire Bottle" which implies it is configured for triode operation, but it isn't. One could never get 17 watts out of a KT88 running in triode. This certainly makes a difference.

I've swapped my KT150s back in, with a 274B, and I think it sounds great. The bass is deeper and tighter than with any other tube, while still producing very good vocals, details and imaging. But not the very best on details & imaging, close though.

My speakers go down clean and flat to 32Hz, with some output in the mid-20s. The KT150 is the only tube I've found that can go really deep while still maintaining some detail. Not as good as a SS amp but decent. The KT120 and KT88 do okay, with somewhat less presence.

In terms of clean highs and big soundstage, perhaps the best I've tried has been the Gold Lion KT77. Not overly bright like the 6P3S-e or 6V6, but clear & open with great vocals. Maybe a little edgy if one likes a more mellow tone or has forward-leaning speakers or a hard room. I've known people who hate them and consider them to be "SS-sounding." In my system & room they work well.