View Single Post
Old 12-12-2017, 05:06 PM

Default Virtual NAS Server

Well, since it has been very quiet around here for a long while, I thought I would update on my source improvement progress.

After about 5 years using digital player Foobar2K, I'm now streaming from my laptop using a virtual NAS server (within the same PC), composed of: Linn Kazoo > JPlay Streamer > MinimServer. Still too early for a verdict, as I have yet to really compare its performance with the FBK, but many people are really convinced this is the best approach (even beating the dual-PC configuration, at least using Windows 10 Pro). So, I'll keep you guys posted in case there is interest.

About to order Schiit EITR, a USB to SPDI/F converter which improves on the existing USB input module in my Schiit Yggdrasil DAC. That's another potentially very tangible improvement. I believe the best bang for the buck in these audio systems is in the source area, where improvements really permeate the entire presentation. We'll see.

On another topic, I've been neglecting the KT-77's and KT-88's in lieu of VA 350 B's, which to me sound really good, sort of mid-way between a 6L6 and a 6550. Not quite as detailed and transparent as the KT-77 nor as bodily and bass-rich as the KT-88, but a nice compromise between those two. Nevertheless, I'll be going back to the KT-77 and KT-88 (maybe even 6550), for my formal critical listening of the virtual NAS server streaming, to give it my best shot.

Last edited by Musica Amantem; 12-12-2017 at 05:29 PM.