View Single Post
Old 03-24-2015, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjn04 View Post
Sorry guys, I'm not sure how to post his photo over here. He does have an inside cabinet photo up now, if anyone has a chance to take a peek. No doubt 21 hours is a truck, but it does offer piece of mind to know they will arrive safely. Frankly, I will spend close to $450 doing it myself. I figured close to $200 gas in my 6 cyl Honda Pilot, plus at least 1 Hotel night.
Valencias/Flamencos and Shindo are a great match. The 811b/806a is quite good, though it can sound a bit "hard" at times; the 416 is a great woofer, with a wonderful tonal richness. Having paired the Montille, Cortese, HB, and others with these Altecs, I think you'll enjoy the sound very much. They do a lot of things better than a very large portion of modern speakers.

The pair on Audiogon looks pretty clean. Seems like an earlier variant of the Valencias given the drivers and the green color. The woofer is the 16R 416-Z, which is what you want. (The later models of the Valencias went to the 8R 416-8Z, painted black). If you could get the production codes on the drivers, horn, and crossover, that would be good, just to verify things. And DCR measurements never hurt. But they look clean inside and out, so they might be a good pair to get.

The drive is a bit long, but make a trip out of it, stop by some place for some NC barbeque and a few beers, and then enjoy the magic when you get back.