View Single Post
Old 01-04-2017, 04:48 AM

I've thought about them since they were introduced. It looks like you might (maybe) be able to use your Mcs with it, but there's no apparent way to get around using the BSS London Blue processor. That processor includes delays, digital eq (selectable parametric and/or graphic as I recall), a full featured multi way crossover, routing and additional processing that I'd imagine JBL either programs or provides the parameters for. It would be essential to getting the LF crossover leg and the compression driver/horn levels and slopes (probably including any delays/phase characteristics) properly aligned. The BSS is a very good piece, arguably one of the top three or four pro processors on the market, and reasonably priced by high end standards. I don't know what /whose DSP chips they are using though. That's undoubtedly changed since I last used BSS gear six or seven years ago.

It's a system approach and makes sense to me. But if you absolutely must use the Crowns or not remains a question the lit dosn't really seem to answer. The Crown ITs also have (or had) processing features if I recall, but they would seem to be redundant, (and possibly not even included in the package) since I would think all the processing you need is there once you have the BSS piece. Easy enough to call them and find out. It looks like they are direct descendants of Dr. Toole's team as the lit calls out the design tricks suggested by their research and the supporting specs.

I have been told they are terrific, but I have not heard them.

Last edited by Pampero; 01-04-2017 at 05:00 AM.