View Single Post
Old 10-21-2012, 08:52 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNut View Post
Buck,

I've never hooked my Eidolons up to McIntosh gear ( I use Spectral with mine) How do you assess the sound with the 402's?

Julian
Thanks Julian......I think they pair up really well, but honestly, I've never heard them with any other amplifier, so my observations may not mean a whole lot. I'm not a very loud listener, so power definitely isn't an issue, they sound very warm and smooth, not at all bright or hard which I've heard some say is an attribute of ceramic drivers. One of the reasons I looked into Avalon is b/c I always read the the McIntosh 402 was slightly on the warmer side which may balance out some of the Avalon's "truthfulness". Anyway, since Jim has been to the house and spent over 8 hours doing his thing, I can safely say that I probably couldn't get it to sound better without doing some very expensive upgrades or perhaps a different type of speaker like a planar. I've always been drawn to the Magnepan sound, but I don't think they would've worked in my room (looks wise that is). Jim was very pleased with what he heard and he said that he's voiced many systems with Avalons.
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3