Thread: Krell S300i
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venere View Post
Bavarian - Been following your recent posts because I am considering upgrading my integrated. I have modest system consisting of Sf Venere 3.0 floorstanders with Marantz 8005 CD and integrated. As you can see my taste runs to slightly warmer that neutral but not full on maple syrup sweet. Picked Sf over B&W and Marantz over Rotel for that very reason. So...my budget is around $2K for new integrated and top two contenders are Primaluna Prologue and Krell S300. I know your Primaluna is larger more powerful version but I am told the Prologue shares their new "house" sound. Was thinking that my more efficient and higher impedence speakers might be a similar "fit" for the Prologue as your SFs are for the Dialogue. I never had tubes before and have always been curious. Primaluna looks to be about as user friendly as they come. But...Krell was one of my fantasy brands ever since I was a kid, and the current pricing on the S300 seems amazing. No Krell or PL dealer anywhere near me for audition. Both are returnable if they don't work out. Do you have any thoughts on the PL/SF combo in general or the overall quality of the PL, suggestions, advice, etc. Is the Krell really that mellow for a SS amp? Lastly, how much heat does the PL put out? Mine would need to be in a console with open front and rear but a "ceiling" about 6 inches from the top of the tubes. Do they get plasma TV warm or space-heater hot? Sorry for all the questions but you appear to be familiar with both of my top contenders. Thanks for any opinions you might have.
Hi Venere,
Sorry for the delayed response here... My honest thoughts would be go with the Krell. I have had the Venere 2.5s previously (not exactly the same, but very close in terms of load and sensitivity, etc.) The Venere range presents an odd load. They are rated at 6 ohm nominal, but they drop to around 3.1 ohms if memory serves. At the time I tried the Venere 2.5 I was using an Audio Research Ref 110 with KT-120s for around 130 watts. Neither the 4 or 8 ohm tap sounded right to me. So from a control point of view, I think the Krell will be a very good fit. The other issue is that the Venere range in general is pretty voluptuous and not lean at all. I think if you pair the 3.0 with the Primaluna you will get a somewhat syrupy mess. Especially given that you are used to solid state, it would be a step too far in my opinion and experience. Using it in a cabinet also cinches my advice to go with the Krell. I am likely going to sell my Primaluna HP as I am really happy with this amp. Given the price, it is a screaming deal right now. If you are going to give one a shot, PM me and I can likely give you a tip on where to buy and what to pay. Just my two cents. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Bavarian05; 12-07-2014 at 08:53 PM.