View Single Post
Old 11-20-2013, 10:22 PM

Smile

My last speaker was the Sasha. When I auditioned the S5 at the dealer's I felt that it My last speaker was the Sasha. When I auditioned the S5 at the dealer's I felt that it beats the Sasha on practically all technical aspects. To make sure I would also love the sound, I actually bought the S5 before selling the Sasha so that I can compare the 2 directly in my environment. I finally let go the latter. That was last November and the Alexia was not available for my audition. As I have used Wilson's speaker for long and still respect the line, I have been taking whatever opportunities I came across to listen to the Alexia. I listened to it in the 2013 AV show (Hong Kong) and at friend’s home. Last month I made an appointment to audition at the dealer's. I think the Alexia has improved upon the Sasha substantially. It is now more coherent and the highs are more smooth. However, I am still not convinced to make any change yet.
When I bought the S5, I also listened to the Q3 at the same time. I felt the Q3 was slightly more transparent while the S5 had a slightly more relaxed presentation. I finally went for the S5, possibly because going for the Q3 was too big a jump from where I was. Subsequently, I listened again to the Q3 and the S5 again at the (new) Magico dealer's, this time driven by different electronics. The merits of the Q3 - transparency, silky smooth highs, .. shone through. I have been pondering the possibility of “upgrading” to the Q3. However, every time I listen to the wonderfully beautiful sound of the S5 at home, I really don’t feel any urgent push. If a bargain comes along, or a Q6 appears, I may consider then.