View Single Post
Old 11-20-2013, 09:17 PM

S1chen,

Sounds like this thread could / is getting off track quickly. Alexia's are great speakers, so are Magicos. I'm an extremely pleased Magico S5 owner that came from Wilson (W/P8's). Before buying S5's, I first auditioned Maxx3, Alexia, and Sasha. Of the three, I preferred the mid-range and high's of the Alexia but thought all three were very good (no surprise). I then auditioned the Magicos (S5 and Q3). Like most, I found the Q3 to be the more resolute speaker. Unlike a lot of audiophile hyperbole though, I found the difference, to my ears (YMMV), to be reasonably slight rather than marked, as is sometimes proffered.

Both Q3 and S5 are amazing offerings that, to me, were vastly more transparent than anything I had heard to that point. Long story short, and in my opinion of course, even at ~$30K for the S5's or ~$40K for the Q3's, the Magicos represent quite reasonable value in the crazy statement-priced ultra-speaker game. I couldn't be happier with mine.

Best thing would be to bring an open mind and some music you're quite familiar with to a local Magico dealer and compare vs. your Alexia's. You're obviously in good shape either way.