View Single Post
Old 03-06-2019, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robd2 View Post
Does your VAC have the multiple MC gain settings (62 vs 68)? My onboard VAC phono is fixed at 64. I’ve been wondering how mine would match up with a lower output cart like your Coralstone, which is at 0.3mv maybe?
Yes I have 62 and 68 dB settings for MC mode (fixed at 44 for MM mode), but you have to open it up to switch this gain, and that will also change the resistive load options by a factor of 4 vs what they’re labeled. I keep mine on the 68 setting. It only switches the internal Lundahl LL 1931 SUT’s between its high and low taps. But I find the Coralstone matches much better yet with an outboard EAR MC-3 SUT, and the VAC set in MM mode. The Lundahl LL 1931 is excellent (especially with a Shelter Harmony), but I find that the real magic of the VAC is its MM stage. Simply wonderful. Matching SUT will always be extremely dependent on what specific cartridge you’re using - multiple in my case.

The VAC also has an superbly low noise floor, which I can take advantage of only because the REF 6 is even quieter!

Last edited by mulveling; 03-06-2019 at 09:49 PM.