View Single Post
Old 11-05-2017, 05:56 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Valhalla 2 is continuing to amaze me with each passing day. Listening to Eagles Hell Freezes Over album, the very well recorded "Hotel California" track. Using the HD650 at the moment and Valhalla 2 is laying down some serious bass lines. I would have never thought a SET amp could be so dynamic and so musical. Not just your round and bloated bass either, the bass is incredibly tight and as deep as much as the HD650 can muster but it is very well resolved at the same time. Very impressive for a triode SET.
A pure joy to listen to with any of my headphones.
Valhalla 2 is ridiculously dynamic and musical for an SET amp; its kinda ridiculous.

Funny you say that about the bass because I am listening to Ray Brown's bass on Cry Me A River on his Soular Energy album and the bass is taut, well-defined and beautifully articulated. See if you can find it on Tidal.

Also, listen to the bass on Diana Krall's My Love Is and let me know what you think.

Val 2's performance as a preamp has me seriously thinking of Schiit's dedicated Saga, or better yet, Freya preamp driving their 100 watt Vidar SS amplifier (which is a "dual-mono-ish" design) for a bedroom office system. I'll bet these would work beautifully with a pair of Dynaudio Special 40s; the smaller Dyns would benefit from a powerful SS amp that can provide the current they really need to fully open up.

Hmmm...
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.