View Single Post
Old 05-10-2018, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iefbo View Post
McIantosh
How would you compare the sound quality to a cd using the transport of the MCD1100?
Good question. I haven’t thought to do a head to head comparison to actually compare (been too busy enjoying music streamed from my Network Bridge ). Some while ago I did compare Roon streamed from my MacBook Pro via USB to discs spinning in the MCD1100, and here I favoured the MCD1100. The difference wasn’t night and day however. Just a tad more musical with less digital hash when reading from the CD directly. This wasn’t a hard clinical comparison mind you, just a few comparisons I did to satisfy my curiosity. And here, the A/B comparisons were done while simultaneously streaming from the MacBook. So perhaps not the best scientific comparison either.

Introducing the Bridge was not a subtle change by any means and a noticeable step up from the direct USB connection to the MCD1100. How much this can be chalked up to the change in interface, disconnecting the MacBook, and how much to the Bridge (and/or Shunyata cabling), I can’t tell you. But it was readily evident. Much more so than comparing USB to a disc in the spinner. So I really haven’t had the inkling that a comparison of the Bridge and a CD is really all that worth my while.

If this is of any help to you, I can tell you that the lady of the house rarely (if ever) comments on the sonic improvements from any of changes I have made to my system - and I’ve made a few. She has been rather indifferent to most. The addition of the Bridge however, is the only one to date that she thought was at all worth the time and trouble.