View Single Post
Old 06-24-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampero View Post
Hi Pio! Those main momnitors look a bit like Westlakes, although I am unfamiliar with any of their models that have a front baffle quite like that. Possibly older models? The horns are similar to a JBL 2397 which Westlake did in a number of configurations and is a distinguishing characteristic of many Westlake designs. I'm trying to figure out which studio complex you were in. I used to routinely tour major studios when I worked for Otari, especially when the MTR90 was in development. I was the liaison for the Japanese
engineers during that period but only because my English was better than theirs. That was a long time ago and several technologies ago.
Hey Lew

I was in Jerry Wonda's studio (Platinum Sound) on 46th and 9th. Jerry mentioned that those particular monitors were commissioned for Michael Jackson and he acquired them from Epic just before they were to be shipped to Japan. Those suckers were LOUD!

PS - I used Otari reel to reel machines before digital took over the studio world. I guess we're saving a ton of money on grease pencils and edit tape..