View Single Post
Old 01-05-2019, 11:11 AM

2fastdriving:
I agree entirely with your thoughts on ARC and Dag. I have heard many brands over the years and usually run far away from solid state gear. But I heard a Dag combo that I liked a lot at my dealer and asked for an in house audition. I had the Dag 250 stereo in house to compare to my Ref 150. I thought each had their strengths and weaknesses--ARC being more of a "natural" presentation with better sustain, bloom and dimensionality, DAG being more transparent and revealing--but the differences were of character (tubes v ss)not of quality. I was very impressed with the Dag sound and considered buying it. But, in the end, I kept my ARC amp because I am at heart a tube guy---but if I ever switch--it will be for a Dag. So my vote for the best solid state is Dag although I also loved the sound of the Wells Audio Innamorata when I heard it in a system owned by a friend of mine. It is the most tube-like ss I've ever heard. My guess is that it is not quite as transparent as the Dag but provides an overall presentation closer to tubes.
Wilson Alexia V, ARC Ref 160M MkII,Ref 40,Ref Phono2SE, Shunyata Triton3, Typhon, Sigma PCs, ICs & SCs, Spectral SDR4000SV (w MIT IC), Belcanto PL1, Oppo 205, Marantz 2270 (tuner only):AudioDesk and VPI record cleaners, Furutech Demag & Destat; Stillpoint Apertures, TechDas AF 3S Premium with SAT CF9 and Kuzma 4pt 9" arms, Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Dynavector XV1-t stereo and XV1-s mono carts, Miyajima mono, Shure V15VxMR,