View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012, 11:46 AM

I upgraded through the Shindo pre-amp ranks owning the Masseto, the VR and now the Giscours.

Of all the Shindo gear I've gone through--amps and pre-amps--the VR is the only piece that seems a non-linear progression. Meaning it sounds somewhat unique, not just more of what the Masseto, its predecessor in line, sounds like. To be specific the VR is slightly dark and more about control than the alive, large character of the Masseto. Instruments are spot lighted against a velvet background and tonally it may be beyond reproach. But honestly, I preferred the Masseto to the VR. This is going to boil down to a matter of taste.

The Giscours picks up in spades from the strengths of the Masseto. It is alive, airy, dynamic, colorful, big and involves me in the music in a gripping often mesmerizing way. It seems impossible there is more Shindo magic to be had with the Petrus, but Matt assures me there is. Is the Giscours worth the difference in price over the VR? To me, that's a huge yes, but remember you might prefer the different magic of the VR.
It sounds like Art Dudley does.

Steve