View Single Post
Old 04-04-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD View Post
I understand that it is a hybrid system and i had one in my FR for 15 years before I converted it back to a 2.1 system. My point is that there are far more sophisticated and user friendly AV processors on the market than what McIntosh sells as "theirs" for much more reasonable prices that happen to sound better. ......SNIP..... Also if you want the SVS subs to work for music then get them away from the corners of the room. I've owned several and while not a first choice for music they can be made to work well with placement.
Who makes a better A/V system? I was thinking of getting a Denon or Marantz, until I kept running into Mc. My salesguy kept pushing NAD on me and I really like their 5.1 masters series, yet they seemed like they were a couple of years behind since they didn't have a 4K capability at that time. That made me lean on Mc. I'll end up getting a 2 channel system for my office eventually, but I have no plan on getting rid of my HT setup in my HT/pool table room in the basement. Ignoring my salesman and talking directly with the regional Mc sales rep, he recommended not getting a 2 channel preamp with HT bypass and getting a 2 channel rig separate from my HT in another room. I talked with him for over an hour on the phone. If my HT processor needs a new DAC, I just need a new processor.

My biggest reservations on getting a DAC or using OPPO as the DAC are:
I don't want to have 6-7 more expensive cables. It's already crazy back there. I use my oppo more for movies than I do for music.
I use my oppo some of the time, but not all the time.
Mc rep claims theater bypass hurts the calibration on room perfect (which I'll likely get when the "MX170" comes out). According to him room perfect is so good it sounds better than a manual setup.
I didn't want to double and triple convert digital to analog on a DAC or oppo, take the analog and convert it back to digital for the MX122, and then back to analog to the amp. Pure mode might be a good work around, but I'd think the DAC on the MX160/170 would be better than the DAC on an OPPO or SCHIIT.

I do prefer the "look" of Mc, but I'm learning that the products they make outside of a 2 channel preamp and amp aren't that competitive for the price.

On the SVS subs I have little to complain about musicality at this point. They are a good compromise between music and movies in a large room. In my opinion SVS is much better at music, than REL is at movies. Maybe I'm missing out on something, but for now I'm fairly happy. SVS has it's problems, but it isn't the weak link. If not in the corner where would you place them? Because my masterset guy likes where he put them. They aren't just shoved into a corner, they were adjusted millimeter by millimeter until he got what he was looking for, but yes they are in corners.