View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricjor1 View Post
VT Skier,

I'm really not unhappy with my current sound; however I would like to go to the next level. I'm looking for something that provides a significant enough difference to justify what I want to spend. If I don't hear what I'm looking for, I will focus on room treatment and upgrading my source. Personally I believe in starting with Speakers and building around them.
Hi Ricjor1,

I would encourage you to be even more specific when you say "go to the next level". The reason I say this is that one speaker might give you more dynamic capablities, another might give you better tone, and yet another might give you better coherence or better imaging/staging.

When I was in your shoes 2 years ago, I took the time to write down exactly what I was looking for and how I wanted to improve on the Martin Logans I had at the time. For example, I wanted to keep the coherence, speed, and transparency of the Logans but was looking for better tone, body, large scale dynamics and emotional connection. I even made up a listening evaluation sheet based on these qualities that I would take notes on when auditioning various speakers. When I listened to a speaker that gave me some of what I was looking for, but was lacking in what I already had or lacking in another important quality that was important to me, it was easy to pass on that speaker regardless of how good it was as what it did right. (I know, I know...kind of an anal process but aren't we all a little bit that way with our systems?)

Using this somewhat systematic process led me to the most confident audio decision I have ever made and I've not looked back.

Most importantly, have fun in the process. If you can, travel to other cities to hear the speakers you are interested in. Hearing them in different rooms, with different electronics can be educational.

Regards,

Dave
SF Stradivari, Aric Audio Motherlode XL preamp and Super KT Parallel amps; Pass XP 27, Raven One TT, Graham Phantom II arm, Lyra Etna Lamda, Airtight PC1, Bryston 3.14 DAC, Transparent Reference & Wireworld, dedicated treated room 17 X 34 X 9