View Single Post
Old 02-05-2016, 12:16 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer59 View Post
Thanks for the response. I haven't used the anti skate on my Scout. My understanding is that VPI recommends not using it.

I'm inclined to think something needs adjustment since I have two completely different pressings of that specific album (the 4MWB and orig US RCA) and both exhibit the same distortion in the same place. I'll try and play with the VTF this weekend. If I can figure out how to do it.
VPI / Harry W. often suggests to disconnect the anti-skate. There is a fair amount of controversy on the subject and enough people think a-s is a feature they want that VPI feels compelled to include it on their arms. That the stylus gets pulled toward the center of the record is independent of any particular brand. I currently don't have a VPI arm, but if it has a small weight on a bar or similar, think of it like the weight on your tonearm. The weight may be threaded or accept a hex key to loosen it so it can be moved. You might try using the anti-skate to see if it helps with the distortion as well try what BillK mentions - disconnecting it entirely.

Keep in mind that when asking about distortion in one channel, anti-skate is pretty much a stock answer but other causes are possible.

If the distortion is in both channels equally, that may not be an anti-skate issue. Could (still) be a tracking (force) issue or alignment or a host of other possibilities.