View Single Post
Old 01-10-2021, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM992 View Post
I have been pure tube in the past, and pure solid state... but I found the best combo for my listening and my ear is the tube pre-amp and solid state amp... specially with McIntosh where they deliberately make their solid state sound more tubby, and their tubes sound more SS... the fusion of the two works out to perfect for me.
Sam992, you have hit on a fact that I hope you hang onto. Mac SS amps with the autoformers sound tubey. I have said this repeatedly. 45 years ago I was so busy in the practice of medicine but I always had to have a hi-fi.

I had a Mac 275 amp. I was frustrated because I couldn't figure out if I wanted to turn it off or leave it on. I had DQ 10's. I bought a Mac 2100 which was a 105 watt per channel SS amp. I was struck by the similarity of the sound. I was totally satisfied by the sound of the 2100.I did not have the ultra expensive cables or cords. Essentially what you could buy at Best Buys of today but the sound was really good.

I favor smoothness and sweetness with as much clarity and resolution as possible. Can't abide a harsh mid or treble.

I must have bass and plenty of it. I never heard a 20 Hz note I objected to.

Best

Charles

p.s. One must realize that a speaker that has little to no low bass capability needs a sweet mid and treble and may benefit more from a tube amp because they can sound thin. Speakers with low bass capability to 20 Hz will inherently have a sweeter mid and treble because they tend to sound fuller. That has been my experience over the years. Speakers are a matter of taste. Many folks have low bass and bass power a low priority. Tubes cause what bass there is to sound fatter/fuller/deeper and provide the smooth mid and treble.

Most recent updates: AQ Diamond USB replaces AQ Coffee; Wilson Audio Specialties Alexx replaced by Wilson Audio Specialties XVX Chronosonic; new subwoofer crossover; new Galaxy Grey Thors Hammer; Wilson Pedestals
Amps: McIntosh 1.25KW’s (3) set on floor on custom made cultured marble slabs
Preamp and DAC: McIntosh D1100
Sources: McIntosh MCD1100 SACD player, MVP881 BR player, MVP851 DVD player, MR87 tuner, Marantz 510LV Laser Disc player, ASUS laptop USB (JRiver Media Center 23)
Speakers: Wilson Audio Specialties XVX Chronosonic
Sub-woofer: Wilson Audio Specialties Thor’s Hammer (1) horizontal lie and Wilson Watch Controller (abbr: WC)
Cables main system: Audioquest Wel Signature speaker cables and balanced IC (preamp to amps); Wel Signature AES/EBU balanced digital IC for CD playback; Audioquest Diamond optical (1) for tuner, (1) for BR player, and (1) for LD player for total of (3); Diamond USB cable; McIntosh MCT cable for SACD playback; Dragon power cords (5 HC cords and 3 source cords for total of 8); Thunder HC power cord for tuner; cables for DVD player not listed
Cables subwoofer system: Audioquest Redwood speaker cable (1); Wolf balanced subwoofer IC from WC to amp; Wind balanced IC from preamp to WC; Hurricane HC (2) and Dragon HC (1) power cords
Power conditioners: Audioquest Niagara 7000 (1) and Niagara 5000 (3); (4) dedicated 20-amp lines with no. 10 wire straight out of fuse box
Isolation: Wilson Pedestals
Cabinet: Double Custom Woodwork & Design (CWD) solid walnut cabinet on large casters; holds all sources and preamp; also, Niagara 7000; 11 feet minimum distance from speakers
Acoustic Treatments: Room and Echo Tunes
AC: Dedicated to this room only, an ultra-high efficiency and quiet recently installed Ruud split system 3-ton heat pump.
Room (mancave): 40’L x 15.5’W A-frame; max ceiling height 8’ min 5’; wall within wall construction built of 2 x 6’s; built over garage with custom hardwood floor with gym seal with over 40 Lowes stiffened wooden I-beams supporting floor; complete isolation from rest of

Last edited by Charles; 01-10-2021 at 05:25 AM.