View Single Post
Old 05-08-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decooney View Post
Awesome. Glad its working out. By chance do you know if it had anything more to do with the original or replacement tubes, or sometime else?
hmmm.... well... I did about a month's worth of testing when I got it back the first time and it still had issues....

I too thought - hey maybe a tube - because when I yanked out the phono tubes - everything was fine - put them in... and after awhile - I'd get a hum..and eventually blow a fuse.. So, I bought NEW tubes for the phono stage.... Same thing happened... So - I KNEW it wasn't a tube - told Cary this - and found it quite surprising that someone still thought it was a tube. Maybe that person just wasn't listening - or wasn't in the loop or whatever.

So I thought it was one of two things ... 1) something in the phono stage - a bad solder since the hum occurred 1 hr after warm up.... or 2) something in the power supply.... It was the latter .... They replaced the transformer and other things in the PS which fixed the issue....

I am happy they found it... I just give some advice to folks sending things in....

1) Take pictures of everything you send in the box. And take a pic of it IN the box.
2) When you check the RMA - and if things look good to you on receipt- take a screen shot of it - and save it off.

I think they have people that can diagnose problems and fix etc.... but, I get the feeling that they are getting slammed with upgrades... fixes etc.... and I think sometimes things get a little 'hairy'.... I was told they received 5 slp98s in 2 days - when mine came in..... So to be on the safe side - document your stuff...... My issue did eventually get squared away though.....