View Single Post
Old 12-24-2015, 04:25 AM

I cross my Wilson mains to my Seaton Submersive sub using an electronic crossover (XTA) and the absolute best integration I've ever achieved was once I introduced a delay on the signal to my mains.

Distance measurements of the speakers to the listening position, according to Barry's theory, indicated that the optimal delay on the mains would be around 9 msec. So, I started at 0 msec and ran a sweep in my room using REW to plot the results. I tested at 1 msec increments up to 12 msec, then narrowed in testing the best range in 0.1 msec increments. The optimal results were in fact at 9 msec, so in my case at least, the theory proved correct.

I've been high passing my mains for a long time, as I easily hear the benefits of doing so, even with speakers that play down to 30 cycles. With some work, I could usually get the integration to be pretty good. Once I started time delaying the mains, everything just snapped right into focus. There is absolutely no localization of the sub whatsoever - just one beautifully cohesive sound field.

If you have the equipment, try it - you'll likely be surprised at what you hear.