View Single Post
Old 12-24-2017, 01:45 PM

Default BIG Shootout: Audeze LCD-4 vs Focal Utopia !

I'm getting some width and it is pretty amazing. I don't know if it is in my head as a perceived response or if it is real.

Back in the '80's I was involved with some audio localization projects at Wright Patterson AFB. The idea was to present threats to the pilot aurally based on the direction the threats were coming from. So for example a cruise missile coming up your tailpipe would be heard below and behind you.

Don't know what ultimately happened to that project but the performance in terms of spatial accuracy was very very good.

That leads me to believe that some of the best aspects of 2 channel listening on speakers can be replicated in headphones with the right dsp.

One interesting imaging test is Roger Walters 'Amused to Death'. When listening to my speakers, there are sounds coming from far left, far right and even behind (is that possible? - guess so) that lose their impact and directionality when played on headphones.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v