View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012, 06:42 AM

Question Mains Plugs, Rhodium or Gold Plating?

Many years ago I had two mains circuits installed for the Hi-Fi system. As each component required its own mains connection a total of seven sockets were fitted.
Moving forward several years I added the Isotek Nova and Titan mains conditioners to the system. The combination of the stiff Nordost Valhalla mains cables and the right angled U.K. plugs meant that the conditioners had to be pushed to the back of the rack to allow the plugs to be inserted.
I then changed the mains plugs to straight versions. The only viable option was Furutech; the choice was gold or rhodium connections. The advice I received at the time was fairly consistent, that there was no, or very little, sonic difference, but that the rhodium plating should be more durable, although it would take longer to run in. I chose rhodium.
The two Isotek units have now been replaced by a single mains conditioner, the Burmester 948, and now, amongst other updates, I am going to replace the existing sockets with one double socket. The only viable option is still Furutech; the choice is still, rhodium or gold?
The advice from several dealers is very similar to that which I received when I bought the rhodium plugs several years ago, but then I came across this review, which gives a very different opinion.
www.hifi-advice.com - The power connector-comparisons continue - part 2 - Furutech Alpha3 powercable - review
I would be very grateful for any opinions or experiences that you may have with mains connections, especially comparing rhodium and gold plated mains plugs.
If I opt for the gold socket, then I will be replacing the existing rhodium plugs with gold plated ones.