View Single Post
Old 06-17-2017, 11:34 AM
Listener in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
Yes, I was thinking about the Theroux book. Until I lived in China, I thought that trip would be cool.

Could never have convinced my wife to do it after her woman's trip to the Silk Road where she stayed in a "Four Star" hotel that had an open channel in the floor for sink water to drain from room to room. That was in Kashgar on the very western border.

My apologies to Dave for the slight diversion!
Craig, if Dave doesn't mind the diversion going a bit further, here's a couple pics for you guys from that fateful trip - first is me at the station, next is a one of the train in Mongolia, and a young lady I met as she was moving from Beijing to Budapest. We'll celebrate our 25th anniversary next month.

About 12 years ago we did a silk road trip, starting in Urumqi, so we didn't get quite as far west as Kashgar. Train back then from Xi'an to Beijing was 24 hours; with the high speed network today, it must be much, much faster.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Peking train station 91.jpg (90.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Train in Mongolia.jpg (93.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Bossgirl.jpg (97.2 KB, 26 views)
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable