Thread: Which 12AX7 ?
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulveling View Post
Telefunken 12ax7 are pricey from the primary NOS tube dealers, yes. They are not expensive, and are plentiful, on the used market - if you are willing to accept "used, test strong or like NOS". I think this is a good way to go, since the quality of Telefunkens were produced in large quantity and in pretty consistently good quality. Both varieties (smooth plate, ribbed plate) are excellent tubes that will bring notable improvements to most 12ax7 slots. The ribbed plates have a little bit more zip up top; preferable in some systems but not others.

I've bought these kind of "pulled" Telefunkens, say $50 - $70 per tube, and you'll get an occasional dud but the overall savings makes them an awesome value for the money.

It is my somewhat unpopular opinion that the NOS supply of Telefunken 12AX7 has been exhausted. They have been out of production now for five decades and in great demand for the last two decades.

If you are buying white box NOS Telefunken 12AX7 tubes then there is a high probability you are buying used tubes anyway, so don’t sweat buying used. If they have good emission and otherwise test well they will live along time in your gear.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v