View Single Post
Old 08-18-2018, 01:50 AM

Default Single Ended to Balanced Cables

I recently tried a balanced cable myself after using AX-5 and QX-5 with single ended for a few years. The reason iI stayed single ended is that going balanced would mean significant investment in upgrading my already very good single ended cable.

Immediately there was a about a 4.5 db or three AX-5 volume increment difference between the two cables, with the balanced being louder. However it was not just louder. I could not achieve the same result as the balanced bringing the single ended cable up to match. The balanced just sounded fuller. The bass was more palpable but the tonal balance did not change or darken. Instruments in the midrange, like guitars that were previously more buried in the mix became more easily discernible. There was more slam. There was more of everything. I got more stage depth, not so much widening. On live recordings, I felt like I was hearing the same performance but I got better seats! Music was just more in my room.

Female vocals became more focused and intense. Without loosing any detail (actually enhancing slightly) while loosing a little fatiguing edge

The single ended cable sounded a bit anemic in comparison, but still good. Balanced was a solid step in the right direction to be sure. It wasn’t earth shattering, but it was undeniably better in all respects.

It was one of those upgrades that makes you want to run through your whole catalog of music again to pick out the new details.

Last edited by GrubTheHedgehog; 08-19-2018 at 01:01 PM.