View Single Post
Old 07-31-2018, 09:30 AM

re: Break-in time for Hot Rod KT150 amp, ?

Last night I swapped my Inspire Hot Rod KT150 back in for some play time this week. It's been out of rotation for two weeks. It was playing for about three hours, and I started playing some tracks I'm very familiar with. I noticed a definite change to the sound compared to the last few times I listened to it at length. Right now, I'm only at 40hrs max on the amp and realize its going through it's normal paces and melt in time on a new amp and new tubes. It was so evident, I kept thinking I had the wrong interconnects this time for pre/amp and source, nope, same ones as last time. It's running the stock brand new TungSol KT150s and JJ 6SN7, JJ 5AR4 tubes. I plan to keep running it with these tubes for a while to track changes and see how it goes.

Difference:
Notably after it got good and warmed up this time, at about three hours of warm up some of the top end smoothed out even more, as if the highs became a tad more rolled out. Not sounding bad, just different. With highs less evident, I could hear a bit more in the midst and lower mid bass region too. Again, highs rolled off enough I wanted to grab some other interconnects that tend to be a tad brighter, but resisted. I may play it like this up to 100hrs.

Thanks in advance for your replies. Hope to hear form folks actually using Inspire amps vs. others. I have other tube amps, but my question is specific to Inspire only.

Question:
Have any of you noticed this type of (smoothed out and rolled off highs) type of change with your inspire in the early 50-100 hour period? What other changes might I begin to experience as I get into the 100-200hr mark?