View Single Post
Old 07-27-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decooney View Post
Another viable $ option exists for "more bottom end..rather than chasing different efficiency main speakers around. I recently tried pairing one of my custom built Scanspeak subwoofers (from another system) up with a pair of 91db custom built main speakers powered by the Hot Rod KT150 amp.

Very musical. The mains image well, blends well, sounds full, has bottom end. Seems to pair up particularly well with my ported (not passive radiator) Scanspeak sub. For store bought subs, maybe buy-try a Rel T/9i and return it if you don't like it. A buddy tried it too, kept his main speakers, and never looked back. What I like the best is being able to listen to it at very low volume at night and still have very full and musical sound.
That sounds like a nice option also. I just received my LP-3a back from Dennis yesterday and realized how much better it drives the amp than what I was using to get by. The bass is much much better now, I had not realized this before. I will soon have a dedicated area for my setup, rather than all these separates and TT spread across 2 dressers I need to get a baseline in that room and then go from there. So much gear and speakers that I want to try, I love this hobby!