View Single Post
Old 01-19-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave View Post
I never considered MSB until I read about the original Select. I also learned the hard way not to include a Dac in your spinner. For me to upgrade, I need a whole new box. When I bought the Esoteric, I was just beginning my journey to the high-end and If I knew then what I do now, I would have bought the grandioso from Ivan and have a stand-alone dac that could be upgraded in time. Im guessing the lifespan, in terms of SOTA tech, will surpass the competition due to the modular design and upgradability and not force us to buy new boxes. It is the reason I looked into MSB, plus I like Vince Galbo with their company. I wonder how many have sold their dacs for an MQA compatible dac? Good talkin with you Serge
I get the whole allure of the newest and the greatest, it is a big part of this hobby. Manufacturers depend on it as do dealers. Some technology progress does offer an irresistible and compelling argument to upgrade and scratch that new gear itch but... On the other side of the equation, I have a few friends that have spent a tremendous amount of effort to build their systems going all the way back to the 90's. I helped my friend setup his system then and he has not changed a single thing since! The only effort he ever put in was in acoustic treatments and perfect setup of his Proac speakers. Tweaking the system and positioning and moving the speakers methodically a fraction of an inch at a time and countless hours of listening to his setup and taking notes. Imagine that no upgrades in 20 years...

When I come over to visit and we spin some vinyl or listen to some CD/XRCD on his system, it is still as holographic, vivid, captivating and engaging as it was over 20 years ago. He has zero desire to upgrade. In fact when his Krell Transport finally quit, he hunted down a laser assembly and we replaced it and it is good to go for another 20 years. Had the Krell amp recapped about 3 years ago. Reconed his Proacs. Like new.

He amassed an incredible collection of music in the last 20 years, stuff that is next to impossible to find these days on vinyl and even CD without spending a penny on upgrades.

His system was not the most expensive at that time but did consist of high quality components. Proac speakers, Krell Transport, Krell DAC, Krell KSA series amp.

Last year I finally convinced him to go audition the new Burmester line our local dealer picked up. Guess what, he said to his ears it was completely non engaging to him.... I could not disagree, it sounded sterile, lean and over analytical without any emotions coming through. We came back to his house and listened some more to his system with great satisfaction and he turned to me and said, until this gear can no longer can be fixed, I have no desire to upgrade. How does one argue with that?

Last edited by PHC1; 01-19-2018 at 08:20 PM.