View Single Post
Old 05-06-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearCityUSA View Post
A few weeks ago I was doing my regular rounds dreaming about my next speaker purchase. As mentioned before I do this a lot. I was looking for some full range floor standers to pair up with my LP27a>PSE in my new living room (under construction). I was looking at the ProAc site and saw their newest model, the DT8, in their Reference line. I have been intrigued by their downward ported cabinets and this one was in my price range at around $3K. I think they are rated at 91db but I do not put much stock in those measurements. IMO their is more to sensitivity than the less that scientific measurements posted . I figured I would send a quick question to Dennis. "Would my PSE drive these DT8s?". Well, about an hour later, as I recall, as I was driving down the road the phone rings. It's Dennis and he is excited. He saw my email and took a look at the ProAc website. He then spoke with his friend and previous Cary Audio distributer John Rutan from Audio Connection in New Jersey, a long time ProAc dealer. John had expressed high praises for the DT8. Dennis in his excitement reiterated his love for ProAc. The 1SC being his favorite of all time as mention in this thread. Another, I do not recall the model, which he used for years at the shows to showcase his Cary amps. He said my PSE would drive them with ease and he was going to order a pair for him self. Fast forward a couple weeks; we have two pair on order from England. His in rosewood and mine in cherry. I'll keep you posted with our impressions.
Yes, flat impedance is important when using low power with less sensitive speakers. I think you will be smiling when they are hooked up to your PSE.

I'm driving those nasty ear bleeding Klipsch Heresy III's with my triode inspire. 99db on paper but I'm sure the impedance is not flat. I think Stereo Mojo reviewed them with a Mac 240. They do require oil caps and appropriate wire etc. to shine.

Personally, I have been tempted by the Omega CAM's. Flat impedance with them too but I'm fine with what I have.