View Single Post
Old 05-23-2018, 12:04 AM

Default Cable sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killergurt View Post
Hi Cable Aficionados,

I have some basic questions about cables. I am looking to better understand the tonality differences between cables. I am not asking which cables are better, just figure out if there is a market consensus about specific brands and their "sound flavor". For example: are there brands that sound brighter than others? Or that have specific characteristics in general.

I have been using multiple cable brands in my system and trying to decide whether I should move to one brand, or cherry pick cables for each component separately. I currently use Kimber, WW and Audioquest across my system(speakers, interconnects and power). I tend to like "brighter" sound and sometimes feel that my system produces a fuller/heavier sound.

My other questions:

1. Do I need to use the same XLR brand between my Amps and Preamp and then between my DAC and Preamp? Or is it common to mix and match?

2. What would have more audible effect on sound, Amp->Preamp or DAC->Preamp cables?

I don't have the budget to purchase the top of the line cables so I always aim for middle of the pack when I buy (example: WW Eclipse 7 Interconnects, Kimber Base series).

Apologies for the many questions, and thank you in advance!

My system:
Preamp: PS Audio BHK
DAC: PS Audio DS DAC
Phono stage: PS Audio Nuwave
Amps: Mcintosh 601's
Speakers: B&W 802D
Correctly designed wires would all converge on a very similar sound. The reason why most high end wires greatly diverge in sound is that they are high distortion cables, and a high distortion cable really stands out...... can have lots of "apparent" bass or lots of "apparent" highs, or lots of smoothness, or lots of leading edge attack. ..... all the results of distortion. Some mostly sound soft and loose detail that will never be recovered later, and some are very harsh, with lots of enthusiasts claiming they are harsh due to their "accuracy" .