View Single Post
Old 02-16-2018, 10:49 AM

Storing the tape tails out main purpose is so print through creates a post echo, not a pre echo.

But yes, playing the tape for a good tape pack/wrap is essential to the safety of the tape itself, minimizes edge damage.

Keep the machine heads and tape path clean and do it every time before and after playing a reel of tape.

Look for oxide shed and keep that stuff blown off the tape path.

Learn how to handle your tape transport. Use FF and RW to slow the movement down before engaging the brakes. If you go from full speed to abrupt stop you can break the tape and even the brake bands in the transport.

I was a full time professional recording engineer from 1976-2010. My first year on the job I learned how to calibrate and maintain R2R machines, we had a dozen Studer B-62 1/4" half track machines. It took me a week to go through them all doing a full mechanical and electrical alignment on each one. Because I had the knowledge, skills and all the tools (playback test tapes in all speeds, sine wave oscillator, dB voltmeter, oscilloscope, fish scales for pinch roller pressure and a Tentleometer for take up and hold back tape tension), I became the go to guy for all the recording studios in town. I worked on Studer and MCI 2" 24 track machines. A full alignment on those beasts took a whole day.

Last edited by Rex Anderson; 02-16-2018 at 11:01 AM.