View Single Post
Old 05-27-2019, 01:36 AM

Default Focal Sopra n°2 speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicmatter View Post
Hi guys,
I'm using arc ref75se driving sonus faber olympica lll for a year now and noticed that the amp is not efficient enough for the O3's. At high volume the O3's sound strained and harsh. The amp is 75wpc push pull tube class ab and the O3's nominal impedance is 4ohm and sensitivity is 90db claimed but actually is 88.8db measured by hifi news mag. Is this because 4ohm speakers are hard to drive then an 8ohm speakers? Room size is 15' x 15' only.

I'm thinking of changing it to the sopra no2, which is 8ohm and 91db claimed but actually is 88.7db mesured by hifi news mag. My worry is would the arc ref75se have enough power for the sopra no2?

4 ohm speakers will draw more current and the O3s should like an amp with the ability to deliver current. If you stick with the O3s and you like the ARC match, you might consider stepping up to the REF150.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2