View Single Post
Old 07-13-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aercool View Post
Sheesh. I wish we were in the same area code. I'd love to check out your Omegas. And I'd love for you to check out my Zu Omens!

Either way, I'd love to swap some tubes to roll for less of a PayPal hit. I am confident that the Bendix 5992's didn't work for me. Sold 'em, took a staggering hit, but don't care - I didn't see them in the rotation. I was getting a lot of 'sharpies' with music I know well - that glare that just makes you just want to turn your head. I was putting the RCA 6V6GT/VT-107's through their paces tonight with a Black Crowes music fest. Mostly their Shake Your Moneymaker/Southern Harmony releases. There's some great guitar sounds on those, and the Inspires did well with a whopping 6 wpc from the RCA / Tele E88CC / RCA 5Y3G setup. Also using an LP-2 preamp with the 6FM7's and another vintage RCA 5Y3G rectifier.

I'm torn between the RCA VT-107's and the Popes. Seems like the RCA's just have a little warmer and a little deeper bass presentation. But like you said - audio memory is SO fallible. A fraction of a dB one way or another and it's all up in smoke as far as a "scientific" comparison. I really *want* to like my really old 30's vintage 6V6G's I've got, but they don't seem to like complex music like I was listening to tonight. Acoustic / solo - yeah, just right. But Chris Robinson's close mic style probably would've gotten a little congested sounding. At least that's my recollection (flawed...).

Yeah, these Fire Bottle Inspire amps are fun. They've really brought me back to 2 channel in a big way. Sure. Looking at a bunch of glowing tubes doesn't hurt matters - but it still has to sound right. They do that in spades.

Now on to some Lucinda Williams and Emmylou Harris for a nightcap.

Cheerio! Mark
Sounds like we have some similar experience, Mark. I need to rotate back the RCA 6V6's and again to the KT150's. Slow process but, then again, no hurry!

The same area code wouldn't be enough! Alaska is all 907, so we could be 1000 miles apart, and no connecting roads, with the same area code! Nonetheless, I'd love to be able to share listening with our respective speakers. I've been curious about Zu speakers.

Have you gone back to the KT150's at all for comparison? I haven't in a couple of weeks, but every time I have I've not been disappointed. So far, I think I'm characterizing the KT150 as a newer, cleaner sound and the 6v6 as the more traditional "warm" tube sound.

Last edited by pstrisik; 07-13-2014 at 11:54 AM.