View Single Post
Old 03-15-2014, 12:14 PM
Born-again audiophile

I have a new Classic 3 and now just venturing into fine tuning all the settings. I got the Analogue Productions Test LP and have just been playing around. If I understand it right the Azimuth test is simply a cross-talk test between channels. So, as an example, when you play the left-only track you shouldn't hear anything out of the right speaker. This would be ideal but unrealistic to get down to zero crosstalk I'm guessing. The advice is to minimize any sound coming from the "dead" channel, and get both channels to have matching levels of deadness.

So what I did is play the left channel track but turn off my left amp, then listened to the very faint tone coming from the right speaker. This is the crosstalk talking. I turned up the volume until I saw a little motion on the meter on my amp. This was still not loud but audible enough to mentally record it. Then I switched everything around and did this for the other channel. With the volume set to the same number on my preamp I was getting a slightly higher needle on my amp, and barely more noticeable volume.

This all seems oh so close. I haven't tried any tweaking of the actual azimuth yet, and may not. This made me pretty happy that I'm probably in good shape on this setting.

Would welcome feedback about this methodology, even if wrong.

John
C2700, Bryston SP3, MC2301's, MC205, Sonus Faber Amati Futura's mains, SF center, Klipsch Sur/Back, JL F113, VPI Classic III, MR87, Pioneer Kuro plasma monitor, Oppo BDP-105, Sonos Port with W4S mod, Bryston BIT20.[/SIZE][/COLOR]