View Single Post
Old 09-22-2021, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post
A cable type splitter is best (but the one above won't pass SPDIF signals - the low end starts at 5 MHz). If you don't match impedances you will have a reflection problem (like light reflecting air to water, but less dramatic). At the frequencies of SPDIF (about 3 MHz), the wavelength in cable is roughly 70 meters - the reflected phase will be nearly the same as the outgoing phase for 1 meter cable back at the source (meaning no problem). So, you might get away with a Y-splitter that you suggested, but I would get a cheapo - the reflection issue will overwhelm any advantage of fancy copper for your tests.

It may not work, but it won't hurt anything either (just don't use cables over 15 meters, and even that won't hurt but you may not get a signal).

You can overthink this kind of stuff.

Can you use optical for the test? There are S/PDIF optical splitters for a few $ (Monoprice has one). Then no issues.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_...AaAox-EALw_wcB
That was my thought going the y-splitter rout. "It couldn't hurt"

The Vault2i ALSO has an optical OUT but like many others I believe the sound quality is not up to the coaxial. I believe this would also apply to an optical splitter similar to the one you suggest. Maybe my misguided opinion but now that you mention it I think I have a optical splitter somewhere around here. I might just make that part of the A/B or A/B/C comparison.

2-Channel
McIntosh C2700, (2X)MC601, MEN220 Lampizator Baltic 3
Sonore opticalRendu, SGC sonicTransporter i5 (Gen 3), Roon Thorens TT TD318
B&W 803D3 JL Audio (2x)f110v2
Shunyata Denali/S v2, Alpha v2 PCs, WW Gold/Silver Eclipse Interconnects, Platinum USB

Whole House Music Listening
Bluesound Vault2i, PowerNode2, PulseMini2i, Pulse2, (3x)Flex
5.2 System Above using Passthru
Marantz SR7012
Oppo 205, Apple TV (4th gen), Sony XBR850e65
B&W HTM2 D3
Second 5.1 System Castoffs from Upgrades
LRC Paradigm Millenia 20, Velodyne MiniVee 10, KEF surrounds, DefTech AW6500