Thread: Why McIntosh
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
You see Lew, you decided on your gear through thought and logic and decided using multiple factors. Good for you, and you actually made your decision exactly as I was trying to suggest! Again, McIntosh sounds great. No argument there. Does it sound the best; for some people yes, for others maybe not so much so.

You got the equipment to fulfill your needs and wants and that is excellent. I have no need or desire for the kind of massive power that the MC452 has. If I did certainly the MC452 would be in the running. For purity in sound the First Watt does what I want/need.

For preamplifier, well I was seriously considering a C47 or C52 (although I really don't need the tone controls and meters of the C52). Again I am a basic person in this regards. A buddy of mine back in NY that I trust completely used my Wyred 4 Sound preamplifier for a few months. His house is pretty much a revolving door for equipment. He compared it against several pieces that he owned and has since moved on. Conrad Johnson and PS Audio top of the line pre's, the C52 (which he really liked for certain things), etc. He told me simply put, the W4S sounded amazing and he would choose it over any of the other ones. He is planning on getting one for a second system he will be putting together using some of his other "spare" pieces.

He finally ordered his dream preamplifier and used the Wyred until it arrived and then sent my STP-SE back to me. The preamplifier he finally decided to keep (maybe for the long term, but with him you never know) is the Ayres KX-R Twenty which costs $27,000. This he did prefer ...

As you see, we all have different needs and wants and requirements. Most importantly I am happy that you considered all of the above to make your decision on what was right for you. Excellent!
Thanks, Randy. For what it's worth, I agree that as long as the person investing their kids' college educations in this stuff does their homework, it's pretty hard to go wrong with any of the marques mentioned here. It has to suit its purpose as defined by the user. We're allowed our preferences and prejudices of course! The key is taking the time to decide what you need and want. Selecting basic electronics taking the speaker's demands (power requirements) and one's own (how loud will you need to go) is a good a place as any to start. Your selection of a First Watt product was possible for that reason and not optimal for my needs.

By the way, I often think I might have been just as well served by a C47. Or a Pass product As you know, pro users are generally very laudatory about Nelson Pass' work. Neither he nor you need my confirmation, but he's the real deal and the products he oversees in those California hills are top of the line. We're good!

Last edited by Pampero; 04-25-2017 at 02:15 PM.