Thread: Dac ?
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post
I may have to subscribe so I can message him.
If you add him as a saved eBay seller I noticed the option pops up to subscribe to his newsletter. Also, I did a little more background checking on this group relative to prior sales and such. Looks good so far. I too started looking at the non-boxed unit. He essentially adds and exterior structure, wood face to box it. Once you get yours, you'll see how it's done. Last time I spoke with Gary at Borderpatrol he commented his first 20 prototype units were wooden boxed. If the unit sounds good to you, I think it will be nice to have their enclosure as these are one-off boutique custom units which makes the whole thing really cool IMO. This morning I pulled the NOS sylvanias and put in some inferior front-end tubes on my big amp to help tame this newer detailed DAC a bit. Lost some detail, bass, and fullness... but it kinda worked to tie me over until this unit breaks in or I start looking for a velvet sounding unit; next. Maybe Borderpatrol or Abbas, still kinda eyeing that Orchid, also nice but agree it will need mods, and its easy to see how the jump to Abbas occurred as I look closer at the parts. Man, did you see that 4.0 Abbas unit, chips, and all - those guys are def into it. Nice.