Thread: Which magtech?
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2016, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypickle View Post
Is the stereo magtech amp sufficient for a pair of magneplanar 3.7i speakers or is there a significant reason to go with dual monoblocks? Yes I know these are current hungry speakers but am wondering what audible differences might be heard.

The room is 40 feet by 15 feet with the speakers 5 feet away from the short wall and 10 feet apart. Listening seating is 10 feet away from the speakers. and surrounded by heavy curtains on 3 sides. The space behind the seating is open to the remaining length of room. As there is a high ceiling the only issue is how much bass supplementation I'll need but I'll assess that after I get it all set up and listen to my usual calibration/comparison playlist. I like to keep the electronics simple and low noise. Music is played through a modded sonos connect or a windows 10 pc with a paul pang USB card. Most of my sources are 24/96 or 16/44 flac decoded through a Gustard X20 DAC to a schitt headphone amp. This headphone amp also has a pair of line level balanced outputs that I am planning to use to go to the amp.
I have 20.7s and use the stereo version, unless you want insane volume levels its more than adequate. Roger offers a 30 day home trial, so start with the stereo version and see how that works.

Brett