View Single Post
Old 04-24-2019, 01:06 AM

I heard a Koetsu for the first time 9 years ago; it was an instant and intense love. I was lucky enough to be able to mount it in my system for audition. Truly one of the few most profound moments of all my audiophile experiences. This was an old (late 1980s or early 90s) used Onyx Signature with Alnico magnets instead of Platinum. I literally begged the guy and bought it that same weekend.

Over the years I've also collected a few more with Platinum magnets. They're all excellent. I'm not even certain that the Platinum magnets are necessarily better than Alnico (there is some sonic give and take between them), but I do know I like stone bodies (whether Alnico or Platinum) better than the Rosewood Signature Platinum (RSP). Unfortunately (well not really - they're excellent magnets) Platinum is the only magnet type offered on stone bodies these days, which certainly contributes to the high prices. But if I had to do it again with a less "all in" budget, and maybe not taking such a risk again on used stones, I'd take a look at the various Urushis. Never heard them, but long been curious. Each one a work of art.

I've had periodic interest in other things too, but the Koetsu magic always come back to bite again before too long, and puts it back at the top.

Last edited by mulveling; 04-24-2019 at 01:12 AM.