View Single Post
Old 09-29-2018, 12:43 AM

This following suggestion is actually posted a lot on another forum I belong to. Yeah, if your audio source is HDMI, the only solution is a full HT Processor. However, the most brief one I know of is the Classe Sigma SSP. It is focused more on 2-channel audio quality and only has fully balanced/XLR circuits for the left/right channels. The remaining 5 channels are only available as single-ended RCA (including the sub channel). The Sigma SSP is relatively inexpensive and is nowhere near the price of SP4 (the SP4 doesn't even have the Bryston discrete analog stages yet). It's likely to be better sound quality than the Arcam processor. It will decode anything except DSD.

As far as strictly 2-channel solutions, the only solution I know of is the Classe Sigma 2200i (another Classe product), but that's a full integrated amp (not just a preamp). Yes, it does have HDMI inputs for audio. It does have a balance XLR output for sub. However, it uses the Classe "Class D" amplifier solution (if that is a concern for you). The Sigma 2200i is only a 2-channel preamp and WILL NOT decode multi-channel information (such as dolby digital, dts, etc.).

Neither unit will decode DSD.

You are spot in with the description of the McIntosh. The McIntosh, Bryston and Marantz processors are going to sound warm / laid back / smooth. So I can totally understand that you describe the McIntosh as dull sounding.

The Class Sigma SSP is not going to sound dull. It has lots of resolution, detail, attack and excitement. But also has an excellent 2-channel stage.

Probably the only other solution I can think of is the Krell Foundation. However, it is likely not going to sound as good as the Sigma for 2-channel audio. And the Foundation is a pain in the freaking butt to setup and configure. The Sigma can be completely configured using the touchscreen on the front panel.