View Single Post
Old 09-24-2018, 11:50 AM

Default Search for a PreAmp. Stereo. HDMI-Connection.

In short: I'm looking for a Preamp. My Source is HDMI. And i want a _really_ good Preamp for that. But i don't need more than stereo and subwoofer output.

Long: My main source for music and everything (Netflix, Amazon Prime, Tidal, FLACs, BluRay) is a small HTPC from Zotac.
I really notice that my AV preamplifier is now the eye of the needle and I'm looking for something noticeably better.

My problem: The sound comes via HDMI. HDMI, however, connectivity is given only with AV preamps (as far as I know) and then it quickly gets really expensive. BUT I only need STEREO. Plus subwoofer connection.
Now: Rotel RSP-1572. Yes. Nice. But not really what one calls High End.

The selection does not give much.
Bryston SP4 (14000 Euro). McIntosh MX122 (9450 Euro), Arcam AV860 (5400 Euro). No, not the big Marantz. What have I forgotten?
Calibration is mandatory.
Or are there other possibilities?
If necessary, I also exchange the computer for something current and bigger, which is still cheaper than buying a thick DAC with cables.
Sound-wise: My hearing is unfortunately limited from about 11kHz. Nevertheless (or just because of that?) Mc sounds too dull for me - as far as I have heard so far. But I always like to be convinced when it's not like that. That's why I like it more on the _somewhat_ clearer side of the sound. And i like it fast. I adore transients. The faster, the better. But full. You know... Not thin.

What comes to your mind?

(Unfortunately money is not really infinite with me available. Actually, I'm relatively blank right now, if I don't want to go to the pension scheme.)

(B&W 802D3, PC to Pre via Audioquest Carbon HDMI, Pre to Amp via Audioquest WEL Signature, Amp with AQ Hurricane, Pre with WW Silver Eclipse 7, AQ Niagara 1000, to wall outlet with AQ Hurricane. Subwoofer B&W DB2D with AQ Thunder, connection Supracable 8 or something like this.)

Last edited by GBP; 09-29-2018 at 03:35 AM.