View Single Post
Old 10-11-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post
Yes--Roon exclusively for music. With Tidal and MQA, where available.

The Fathoms do a good of taming the bass. I really need to get REW to see what's going on.

I'd be interested in the solution you mentioned. Thanks!
Here is my music listening flow-path:

Roon Core -> Roon-Ready Player(s) -> SP3.

I connect the analog outputs of my Roon-Ready devices to the SP3 analog inputs and listen using the 2-Channel Bypass option. Note: I do NOT use the DAC in the SP3. (If the Roon-Ready player does not have a DAC, I use a separate DAC but still send the analog signal to the SP3.)

After installing the room correction filters in Roon Core and connecting to a Roon-Ready player as described above, the SP3 plays as if the SP3 had room-correction built in. The room correction filters (also called convolution filters) can compensate for certain deficiencies in your existing room. In your case the deficiencies could be lack of acoustic treatments, type of furniture and furniture layout, room finishes, etc.

In general terms the process involves the following:
1. In your own music room, use software and a microphone placed at the sweet spot (and nearby points) to create a room-response graph. REW can be used for this.
2. Using the room-response graph generated in step 1, you can develop a room correction filter for use with Roon Core. You can use software like Acourate for this. You can also send the room-response graph to a company that can develop the convolution filters for your room (that is what I did).
3. Then you apply the room-correction (convolution) filters to Roon Core. Once you enable the convolution filters in Roon Core, anything that you play via Roon will be room-corrected and that includes your Tidal streams.