Thread: Luxman L-550AX
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2014, 08:38 PM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by migman View Post
I bought a new 550AX about a month and a half ago and I absolutely love it. There is nothing that sounds quite like a high end Japanese integrated. I really wanted an Accuphase but I can't justify the high US prices so I auditioned the 550 and knew right away that I would have one in my room.

I have no desire to search for an upgrade any time soon. It integrates (forgive the pun) well with my JBL Array 800 speakers. I have stopped listening to my gear and now just enjoy the music. Anyone looking for an outstanding integrated would be wise to audition a Luxman.
Congratulations.

I owned a 550A -- for a while -- and it sounded great. To me there's nothing like class-A operation for amplifiers.

Unfortunately I had to return my unit because there was something wrong with it ... it kept emitting an awful "electrical" odor -- even after several days of burn-in (literally.) On top of that there was a bit of a buzz.

Had it not been for that unfortunate odor issue (and the bad taste of being out $200 for shipping it both ways) it might still be in my system.

But it sounds like you got a great unit so, again, big congrats on one heck of an amp (integrated or not!)

Alberto

PS I also loved its VU meters and, of course, tone controls :-)