View Single Post
Old 03-14-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleeds View Post
I'll be interested in your results! Will you also please share some of the other details, such as the antenna you're using, how it's mounted, and your distance from the station transmitters?
cleeds -- These details were previously posted at https://www.audioaficionado.org/show...t=45191&page=3 (Post #26). A bit more information from fmfool: The "ft AGL LOS" is 217.0. I suppose that is telling me I would need a mast 217 ft high to get LOS!?

I have been playing with the MD205. It does help some with the ancient Yamaha tuner. I can tune it to WBJC and then increase the gain to get more quieting. There's a sweet spot; if I increase the gain too much, the noise level increases again, not surprisingly.

More observations on this station with this tuner, in case you can interpret them:
1) The signal level (as reported by the un-calibrated meter on the Yamaha) increases significantly at night (and the sound gets quieter).
2) I can occasionally hear fading (flutter?), perhaps as airplanes produce multi-path at my site. (The Washington, DC, metro area has four major airports -- five if you count Baltimore -- and everywhere is under a landing pattern some of the time.)
3) The background noise is sometimes just varying hiss, but sometimes it sounds like low "static." From the cryptic descriptions of multi-path distortion that I've found, I gather that static is one of its manifestations. Since I'm in a residential area with no metal structures and no large buildings in sight, however, it seems unlikely that any multi-path is coming from a local source.
4) The station engineer tells me that they do have a single HD channel -- I'm looking forward to comparing that to their analog -- but that it's currently turned off. So I think the noise I'm hearing is not HD self-noise, though it might be coming from a stronger alternate-channel HD signal... -- Clark2