View Single Post
Old 10-31-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowens View Post
Gee Matt, A VR with a Montelle? How many customers are running with that combo? A $19k preamp with a $5k amp?, yes it would work great and I know you should buy the best pre you can afford....but wouldnt you be better off with a mid level amp/pre combo.
Actually, I am currently running this very Shindo combination and really enjoy it. I have many other (non-Shindo) amps as well so I can shake things up based on my mood. When it comes to Shindo I'm definately in the "buy the best preamp you can afford" camp. Based on my experience my emotional connection with the music deepened tremendously as I went up the preamp line. I really like the Shindo amps as well but would have a hard time using just one amp full time. I have definate output tube preferences based on different musical genres.
Speakers: Tonian classic 12 (PHY driver) and Hawthorn Audio Trios (Open Baffle). Analog Source: Nottingham Ana-log, Garrard 301. Tonearms: SME 312S, SME M2-12R, Nottingham Unipivot. Cartridge: Koetsu Onyx, Lyra Helikon Mono, Ortofon SPU Classic. Digital Source: Eastern Electric Dac +. Electronics: Shindo Vosne Romane Preamp, 45,2A3,300B,F2a,GM70 SET amps, Atma-sphere S30 OTL, Dynaco ST-70, Shindo Haut-Brion