View Single Post
Old 06-05-2013, 01:00 PM

Well, the owner of Living Voice, Kevin Scott, is quite an interesting guy. He started running a retail business, which he still has, and then made low power valve amps called Border Patrol (I'm going from memory here). Then made speakers, ie Living Voice, which work well with valve amps. He was one of the early guys to follow the underground Japanese trend to use low power valve amps, preferably 300Bs, with high efficiency speakers.

So he is not going to get involved with separate, out of the box, high powered amplifiers. Anyway, I think powered sub-woofers are the way to go. It can be tailored perfectly to the driver/enclosure, and you aren't paying for casework, etc.

I don't haven't read any specs on the Vox Olympian, but I don't believe there is much bass below 70Hz. There is a formula for working out the length of horn needed to get to a certain frequency. I can't remember it, and I'm too lazy to look it up. But we are talking about 15 feet to get toward low bass. Some of the Japanese crazies I referred to built horns in their chimneys. Of course, you can fold horns, but that has compromises.

Roy Gregory was the editor of HiFi+ in the UK for a number of years. He left, a little controversially, to become the marketing VP for Nordost. Don't know if he still is. He is highly experienced in most things audio, and writes well as you said.